History of Gigaquit
Gigaquit is one of the oldest municipalities in the Province of Surigao del Norte. It was once the mother municipality of Bacuag and Claver which became separate municipalities in 1918 and 1955 under Executive Order Nos. 61 and 126, respectively. As borne out of historical writings, Gigaquit was founded in 1850 by a native named Cero who fortified the town and made it safe from Moro depredations. About this time, priests from different religious orders christianized the natives and made Saint Agustine, Bishop of Hipo Africa, as their Patron Saint. The Saint was said to be miraculous since he never failed to protect the people even after the town was raided by Moro pirates where he showed this first miracle by drowning the raiders in a sudden storm.
The municipality got its name from two native words “Gigad” which means shore and “Gakit” meaning a bamboo raft. This raft was used by early settlers as transportation from the hinterland to the shore. From what was handed down by word of mouth during the years, the two words were joined and later became “Gigaquit”.
Article Source: surigaodelnorteph.com
Photo Source: Municipality of Gigaquit
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance