History of Mainit
Up to the present, the history of Mainit is still hardly reconstructed. Except for a few records of the Catholic Church that did missionary works in Mainit and some scanty references of anthropological studies conducted on the peopling and people of the Philippines by foreign authors, few have been said about the history of Mainit.
AREA: 9,985.70 hectares
Population: 8,129 (as of 1995)
No. of Barangays: 12
The municipality of Alegria lies on the Eastern side of Siargao Island. The largest island of the province of Surigao del Norte, it is bounded in the East by the Pacific Ocean, approximately 200 nautical miles from the famous Philippine Deep. On the Southeastern side is the Municipality of General Luna, on the Southern portion is the Municipality of Dapa, on the Western portion is the Municipality of Del Carmen and finally on the Northern side is the Municipality of San Isidro.
It is composed of fifteen (15) barangays, eleven (11) of which are classified as rural – Caridad, Datu, Jaboy, Maasin, Mabini, Dayaohay, Consolacion, Katipunan, Salvacion and San Roque and classified as urban barangays are Punta, Asinan, Centro and Pilaring.
Pilar has a total registered voters of 4,500 as of last election from the total population of 8,129 (1995 NCSO data) and a total land area of 9,985.70 hectares (NCSO data). It is characterized by rugged and mountainous terrain, with the poblacion barangays relatively flat. Further down the long narrow water passage is a vast mangrove swamp and marshland and the others permanently wet areas.
MAGPUPUNGKO BEACH AND ROCK FORMATION
DATU WATER FALLS
LAMBOG WATER FALLS
SAN FLOWER LAKE
The town has a wharf which is also utilized as a fish landing since marine transportation in the area is very risky considering the rough waves. There are no other transportation facilities available in the area except for land transport vehicles that will take passengers to nearby Dapa.
MEDICAL AND HEALTH FACILITIES
- Opens from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on weekdays only.
- The Philippine National Police Station is located at the heart of the poblacion.
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance