Brief History of Bayabas
History of Bayabas, Surigao del Sur
Bayabas is a 5th class municipality in the province of Surigao del Sur, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 7,706 people in 1,290 households. Bayabas is located between Tago and Cagwait. The Tago River separates the Municipality of Tago and Bayabas. A small Municipality with just seven barangays mostly located in the coastlines. Though Bayabas is small Municipality she is also abundant in natural resources especially seafoods. The Municipality envisions to become the leading aquaculture producer in Surigao del Sur, however because of lack of political will on the part of the local officials and concerned agencies to realistically implement the laws regarding the conservation and preservation of the existing marine resources and its ecosystem leads to depletion of its natural resources, eroding eventually the so called mission and vision of this municipality; and perhaps such could be a hope against hope dream to become a leading aquamarine producer in this region.
Bayabas is politically subdivided into 7 barangays.
The Municipality of Bayabas has been the Target of Mining Company because of her rich providential mineral diposits. The Lapaz mining which is located near the river caused damage to the river. Most of the people who live nearby the riverbanks have their livelihood dependent on the river. The mining operations caused to destroy the livelihood of people and pollute the river. Bayabas is also known in Surigao del Sur as the aquaculture producer but with the current mining operations there has been reports that the source of seafoods like wild prawns, shrimps, and crabs have been rapidy depleting. The people of Lapaz opposed the mining operation and desperation lead them to fight and stop the current mining operation.
Sitio's of Barangay Lapaz
Article Source: Bayabas, Surigao del Sur
Photo Source: Municipality of Bayabas
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance