History of Lianga
Lianga is one of the oldest towns of Surigao del Sur created on October 17,1919 by virtue of Executive Order No. 27,much earlier than the creation of the Province of Surigao del Sur. At first Lianga was a big municipality of, which extends from Cagwait to Barobo.
Folk tale has it that this town derived its name of Liangan and Go, two lovers with different norms of life. Liangan was a lovely daughter of a Manobo Chieftain that ruled a peaceful settlement along the river (now Lianga River) while Go was a Chinese pirate captured by the manobo warriors in a bloody battle in the beach of Pananag-an. Go and his comrades ship drifted in the ensuing fight , he was the lone survivor held captive by the victors.
As the story goes, just like some love tales, Liangan and Go got married after the Chieftain's death and established their own settlement and called it " Leanga ", which later become LIANGA.
The Municipality of Lianga is situated in the center of the province of Surigao del Sur, Philippines. It lies along the bay facing the Pacific Ocean and is cradled by its shorelines and the Diwata Mountain. The administrative center of the town, barangay Poblacion, is at 126’10’’ East longitude and 8’43’’ North latitude. Lianga is bounded on the north by the town of San Agustin, on the South by the town of Barobo, on the east by Lianga Bay, and on the west by the Province of Agusan del Sur.
The Municipality is 90 kilometers from Tandag, the Capital town of Surigao del Sur, 237 kilometers from the City of Davao, 121 kilometers from the City of Butuan and 16 kilometers from Prosperidad, the capital town of Agusan del Sur, via Los Arcos-Lianga Road.
Lianga is accessible by both land and sea. The main road is concrete. The presence of shipping ports in Diatagon and Baucawe, although not fully utilized at commercial level, provide an opportunity to attract business investors and traders. In fact, this has been utilized as trading points of assorted goods/products to and from the Municipality from time to time.
Article Source: Lianga, Surigao del Sur
Photo Source: Municipality of Lianga
Like us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 soldiers dead in Surigao del Sur communist clash
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- Предлагаем производство сварной балки любого размера
- In News and Announcements
- Last post by Montazhki3
- on Mar 15, 2017