August 24, 2017
 

History of Tago

Share

History

The Municipality of Tago was born thrice because of the precariousness of political times back then. It saw the light of day for the first time in 1865 under the Maura Law of the Spanish Regime that lasted for three years. Tago must have reverted to its barrio status because records had it that for the second time, it regained its municipal status in 23 August 1883, just after it transferred from the so called Daan Lungsod (Old Town), which was perennially flooded, to the place called Laguna. When theHistory of Tago Philippine Revolution broke out in 1896, Tago was again reverted to its barrio status.

About the middle of the First World War, the people of Tago grew politically minded and in the summer of 1916, important leaders of then Barrio of Tago like Catalino Pareja, Calixtro Espinoza, Simon Luna, Miguel Montero, Juan L. Garcia, Feleciano Arquiza, Juan Pimentel, Lorenzo Elizalde, Canuto Consuegra, Lino Montero, Isidro Garcia, Pastor Cabrera, Bernardo Falcon, Felipe Lozada and Felix Rodrigues were determined to wrestle Tago’s political independence away from the mother Municipality of Tandag.

This breed of local leaders then submitted a duly signed petition to the Municipal Council of Tandag. But wanting the petition to gain more support, Catalino Pareja, along with councilors Lino Montero, Isidro Garcia and Zacarias Espinoza, sent the resolution directly to the Provincial Board of Surigao which in turn endorsed it to the Governor General in Manila.

The crude transportation system during that time made the Provincial Governor Ricardo Gonzales incur delays in sending the petition to Governor General Francis Burton Harrison. But faced with numerous pressing matters to attend to, Harrison issued Executive Order No. 41 only in 6 November 1918, thus convertingTago, for the third time, from being a barrio to a newborn town.

Appointed Municipal President effective 1 January 1919 was then Councilor Catalino Pareja with Calixtro Espinoza as Vice Municipal President while Messrs. Feleciano Arquiza, Juan L. Garcia, Lorenzo Elizalde and Canuto Consuegra were appointed as Municipal Councilors. On the same year, the first election was conducted and Catalino Pareja and Lino Montero were elected as Municipal President and Vice Municipal President respectively.

Reverend Father Nose Croonin was Tago’s Parish Priest at that time.

 

Source: Tago, Surigao del Sur

Sign in

Forum Topics

Advertisement


 

Top 5 Most Active Users

  • James Tiu
    121 Points
  • Rhea S. Ong
    112 Points
  • Christine Tan
    111 Points
  • Haidee R. Jenes
    97 Points
  • Marky Garcia
    95 Points
 

Visitors Counter

WOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor CounterWOWSurigao Visitor Counter
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterToday4837
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterYesterday3811
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterThis week23136
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterLast week44211
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterThis month133506
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterLast month142573
WOWSurigao Visitor CounterAll days6050212
We have 1268 guests online

New Registered Users