Bartolome sacks 3 Surigao PNP execs
PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome yesterday relieved three police officials in Surigao del Norte for their alleged failure to conduct intelligence gathering that led to the successful attack of members of New People’s Army (NPA) in three mining firms in the said province.
Relieved were Surigao del Norte Provincial Police Office director S/Supt. Emmanuel Talento; Supt. Rudy Cuyop, commander of the Provincial Public Safety Company; and PSI Diomedes Cuadra, chief of police of Claver Municipal Police Station.
Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) deployed additional troops in Surigao del Norte to pursue members of the New People’s Army (NPA) involved in attacking three mining firms and destroyed at least P1.5 billion worth of heavy equipment on Monday morning.
This was announced yesterday by AFP Deputy Chief of Staff for Operation Brig. Gen. Jose Mabanta.
Mabanta said the AFP deployed one infantry battalion from the 4th Infantry Division and one Light Reaction Company from Zamboanga to Surigao del Norte.
Mabanta said the troops were from the headquarters and will augment forces in the area and will help in pursuing the attackers.
Mabanta described the attack as anti-people and contrary to the claimed of the rebels that they are pro-people.
He said the mining industry in the province is the largest employer in the area and because of the attack the rebels directly deprived the people of employment and income. (Zaida delos Reyes-Palanca)
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance