SURIGAO CITY – Authorities are still facing a blank wall in their probe into the slay try on a Surigao del Norte Town mayor last Monday, a police official said.
Senior Supt. Emmanuel Talento, provincial director of the Surigao del Norte Police, said they are looking at several possible motives behind the attack on Tagana-an Mayor Cesar Diaz, who was unhurt in the attack.
“We have mobilized all our intelligence assets to check on several angles and possible motives in the attack – including politics, communist rebels' activities, and other armed groups or hired assassins," Talento said.
Talento admitted they are also looking a possible business feud angle.
As a businessman, Diaz owns dump trucks-for-hire for use at mining sites in the province.
An initial police investigation showed that unidentified men shot twelve times the vehicle of Diaz, who was on his way to Surigao City.
The attack occurred at the boundary of Barangays Laurel (Tagana-an town) and Union (Dapa town) at 11:20 a.m.
Diaz was unhurt as his escort managed to fire back on the attackers.
Wounded during the incident were Diaz’s daughter Carmen Andrea and his police escort, PO2 Anthony Pontevedra.
This is not the first time that a Tagana-an mayor figured in a shooting incident.
In 2001, then Tagana-an Mayor Victor Elipe was shot dead by members of the New People’s Army during a meeting in one of the barangays there. — Ben Serrano/Karlitos Brian Decena/LBG, GMA News
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance