Agusan del Sur encounter: 1 rebel dead, 2 soldiers hurt
ST. CHRISTINE, Lianga, Surigao del Sur, Philippines – A New Peoples Army (NPA) member was killed while two high-powered firearms and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were recovered in the encounter with government troops in Trento town, Agusan del Sur, on Tuesday afternoon, military officials reported.
Lt. Col Dannilo D. Benavides, commanding officer of 75th Infantry Battalion (75th IB) of the 401st Infantry Brigade, said that the government troops encountered some 20 heavily armed NPA rebels allegedly in extortion activity in the area.
He said the rebels were members of Guerrilla-Front Committee 20 of the CPP-NPA Southern Mindanao Regional Committee.
The gunbattle resulted in the death of one NPA member whose identity was still unknown as of yesterday.
The firefight also resulted in the recovery of one M16 Armalite rifle, one Garand rifle, IED’s and other war materials.
Two soldiers were slightly wounded during the gunfight. (Mike U. Crismundo)
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance