Rebels burn P20-M worth equipment in Surigao del Sur; investigation ongoing
SURIGAO DEL SUR, Sept. 9 (PIA) -- On the night of Sept 4, 100 unidentified fully armed men wearing military uniform (camouflage) burned heavy equipment of the Concepcion Basic Builders Inc (CBBI), damaging a crane; a welding machine; a generator; one concrete vibrator; one back hoe; one pay loader; one boom truck; two dump trucks, and one unit chainsaw with an estimated value to P20 million, reported the Philippine National Police.
The Provincial Peace and Order Council (PPOC) here chaired by Gov. Johnny Pimentel immediately created a fact-finding committee to look into the latest atrocity. The committee is made up of people from the Department of Local Government, National Police, the 36IB Phil Army, the Department of Public Works and the Philippine Information Agency.
According to police report, the heavy equipment are owned by CBBI based in Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte; the perpetrators are said to be members of the Communist Party of the Philippines/New People's Army/National Democratic Front.
The following day, Sept. 5, troops of the 29IB, while conducting pursuit operation, engaged in a firefight that lasted for about 20 minutes in Sitio Kiskis, Barangay Siagao of same municipality.
This resulted to the recovery of one cadaver who was allegedly a member of the suspected group; the body was brought to the municipal hall for post mortem and identification.
In an interview with one of the members of the fact-finding team, it was revealed that sometime February this year, a CBBI staff said unidentified individuals demanded a 3-percent share of the total project cost, but CBBI ignored it but failed to report it to the police. (NGBT/PIA Surigao del Sur)
Like us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 soldiers dead in Surigao del Sur communist clash
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10