3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
MANILA, Philippines–Three Filipino fishermen were rescued by a passing Netherlands Antilles-registered cargo vessel two days after their fishing boat capsized about 70 nautical miles east of Bitaogan, Surigao del Sur, according to the Philippine Coast Guard.
Citing a report of the PCG Eastern Visayas District, the PCG headquarters in Manila on Thursday identified the rescued fishermen as Joemar Quiritan, Leopoldo Aras Jr. and Rolly Arias, all residents of General Santos City.
They were “among the crew of the fishing vessel RGL Mark Anthony-35, which capsized last Monday off Surigao del Sur,” said the PCG.
On Wednesday, the three fishermen were “seen floating in the sea by the crew of the MV Cola Portese, who immediately picked them up.”
“Upon rescue, they were given medical attention for hypothermia, minor cuts and bruises on board the ship. All three fishermen are now in good physical condition,” said the PCG.
The PCG is making arrangements with the cargo ship regarding its plan to turn over the rescued fishermen to local authorities.
The agency is still investigating if the RGL Mark Anthony-35 capsized and sank due to rough seas caused by Typhoon “Pablo,” and to find out what happened to its other crew members.
Meanwhile, the MV Milagrosa J-4, an interisland passenger vessel, ran aground off Cabuaya Island in Cagayancillo, Palawan on Wednesday due to strong winds caused by the typhoon. The ship had 16 passengers when the incident happened, said the PCG.
“PCG investigation disclosed that on Nov. 30, the Milagrosa left Puerto Princesa City port for Iligan City. On Dec. 2, it was transiting the Cagayancillo area when it encountered strong winds and big waves, forcing it to run aground some 500 meters off Cabuaya island. PCG personnel promptly rendered the necessary assistance to the ship and its crew,” the PCG added.
Like us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 soldiers dead in Surigao del Sur communist clash
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance