30 suspected NPA rebels attack Surigao del Sur PNP station
CAMP RAFAEL RODRIGUEZ, BUTUAN CITY - One suspected communist rebel was killed while another one was captured as government forces repulsed a predawn attack by 30 New People’s Army rebels on a municipal police station in Surigao del Sur Thursday, officials said.
Radio dzBB's Glen Juego quoted PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Agrimero
Cruz Jr. as saying the incident occurred at 4 a.m. at Lianga town in Surigao del Sur.
The radio report said the town police station has alerted all police stations in the area even as a local Army unit was to move towards the area.
Meanwhile, Caraga Police Regional Director Chief Superintendent Reynaldo Rafal said the gunfight lasted for more than one hour.
"No casualty nor wounded on our side but at least one NPA rebel was killed and was left behind by their fleeing comrades. Scores of them were wounded while another NPA rebel left by the attacking NPA rebels is now in the custody of the Lianga Police," Rafal said.
Army chief Lt. Gen. Arturo Ortiz said government forces recovered an M16 rifle.
Ortiz identified the captured rebel as one Eunilio Pison alias Dindo, vice commander of the NPA Guerrilla Front 19-A. Pison was wounded in the encounter and has since been taken to a local hospital for treatment. - VVP/RSJ, GMA News
Find us on Facebook
- 2 missing, 14,996 persons evacuated in 18 Caraga Region villages due to floods
- 2 Surigao cops die in gun duel inside police station
- 20 DENR workers killed in last 2 years
- 3 'NPA child soldiers' captured in Surigao
- 3 Filipino fishers rescued by foreign cargo vessel off Surigao Sur
- 3 terrorist leaders, 12 followers killed in Sulu air raid
- 3,199 trike operators in Surigao Norte to benefit from Public Transport Assistance Program
- 4 out of 10 towns nationwide have no fire stations; in Mindanao, 5 out of 10
- 4 rebel returnees in Surigao del Sur gets livelihood assistance
- 4 rescued off hikdop island