TV's & Movies
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rich Alvarez - A Simple Person

Rich Alvarez - A Simple Person 9 years, 10 months ago #566

• Process0r_
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder

RICH ALVAREZ—A SIMPLE PERSON By Celeste T Maring
YOU MAKE HIM THE WORKHORSE AND HE’LL RESPOND WITH A SMILE AS SWEET AS DEBUTANTE. YOU MAKE HIM THE MULE AND HE’LL DO HIS CHORES WITH NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER.
That’s how friends and teammates describe 6-foot-4 power forward Rich Alvares, who was named the top pick in the recent Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Annual Rookie Draft.
Alvarez’s anointment as the top rookie pick for the year was a surprise almost to everyone considering that most of the big guns from the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the university and collegiate leagues, like Ranidel de Ocampo, Ervin Sotto and Marc Pingris, made themselves available n the draft. “Nobody spoke to me about me being No.1 pick. Nobody from Shell spoke to me. I only learned about it when they called my name, said Alvarez, still ecstatic. “I’m not a very big scorer, I hope everyone knows that,” Alvarez admits, “I play defense”--- and this perhaps, is where his edge is among all the players in the 2004 rookie pool. Alvarez was named the MVP and Best defensive Player of the UAAP Press Corps in addition to his MVP league title in 2002. “Its going to be a tough job I will do my best, “said Alvarez. “They [Shell management and fans] will expect a lot from me, so I have to play a lot harder.” Anyone who has met Alvarez cannot deny the distinct America twang in his English that can onle be traced to foreign roots. Alvarez was born in japan and was raised partly in the United States where he acquired not only the lanquage but traces of American culture as well. With bona fide Filipino parents Rudy and Violeta (nee Datu) Alvarez, the rookie is undeniably a Oinoy and he still holds distinct Filipino characteristics.
Leaving his parents and three siblings in japan, Alvarez studied in Ateneo. His dad, who used to be a professional cager, passed on the basketball genes to him. However, this raw skill is not the sheer reason for his achievements now. He has utilized this inborn talent and pushed it to the limits. According to Alvarez, the main factors are hard work and discipline. The daily grind during the UAAP season has molded him into a jock fit to do battle in the professional league. If there’s a one lesson that the UAAP wars taught him, it is “to never be satisfied with my game --- we can always do better and that’s what we should strive to do, “ stressed Alvarez, one of the key players of the Ateneo Blue Eagle squad.
SHY & SENSITIVE
PEOPLE think that Alavarez is “mayabang” because of his hulking body and his superstar status, but what many do not know is that the real man behind the feared hardcourt defense player is at the opposite side of the pole. Contrary to his threatening façade on court, Alvarez says that he is a very shy and sensitive person and his celebrity status never made him feel that he is better than anybody else. If not for his towering frame, he would probably not call much attention to himself because he prefers to keep a low profile. The only thing he likes about being popular is the attention he gets from little kids. He was always had a soft spot for children and lives being looked up to as a role model. His friends can attest that Alvarez finds joy in simple things --- hanging out with his teammates and playing network games in a while. For Alvarez, there are the things that made him momentarily forget all the tension he had been subjected to in Ateneo and basketball. One thing keeping Alvarez on his toes --- and his feet on he ground --- is he is always open to changes. It is this openness to change. And circumstances that makes it easy for Alvarez to adjust from one role to another. And it is this attitude that, may believe, will help him be the next superstar of the PBA.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Sign in

Sponsored Links

Forum Topics

No posts to display.

Sponsored Links

Top 5 Most Active Users

• James Tiu
    128 Points
  • Rhea S. Ong
    123 Points